Saturday, May 12, 2007

Leaving Cabo San Lucas


Today was our last stop in Mexico, at Cabo San Lucas. The last time I was here was over 12 years ago, when we all flew down from Anchorage for our 30th Wedding Anniversary, and Lisa was expecting Tori. You wouldn't believe how much Cabo has changed. They have built quite a marina, and the open air flea market is now a building next to the marina. Somehow, it has lost its charm. I got some video of our departure, around the end of the land, including video of the place that we stayed on the Pacific Ocean side of the peninsula.

The day began when we went down to the theater this morning after breakfast, to get our tender tickets, so that we could catch the tender (AKA the lifeboats) to get off the ship. As soon as we got on shore, we headed for the new Arts and Crafts center, and browsed the tourist stuff. Mother found a cream colored poncho. After a few shops, she found someone who would take her $10 offer for it. After buying a couple of magnets, she was done. I bought another sleeveless dress (in navy blue - $18). We walked around the port area, but she decided it was time to get back on the ship. I walked her back to where the tenders were boarding, got her safely onboard.

Then I went back to explore Cabo a little more. I walked all the way around the marina to the main street (to the Shrimp Factory, remember?). I looked in a few jewelry stores and a few other stores, then decided I had enough of that stuff. I walked back to the Arts & Crafts center, and found a ring that I had eyed earlier ($30) . It is just like the old Aztec calendar ring that I used to wear on my middle finger (bought it in Cabo on our first cruise, I think, and only took it off last winter, so I knew it was durable). I decided I needed one that fit my ring finger. It will be a good "place holder" where my wedding ring used to be. I also bought a ring on the ship: a replica of Jackie Kennedy's engagement ring: a square emerald surrounded by diamonds (in this case, all fake). So, I replaced both of my rings (the ruby for the 40th anniversary, and my wedding ring, which I had swapped on the day the divorce was final). I think that is another good transition step.

We have another formal dinner tonight (our third) that they are calling our Farewell Dinner, but we still have five days to go!. Then, we have another day at sea tomorrow. Monday we are in L.A. and I will have cell phone access. Some of you may hear from us. We leave the port in L.A. around 6 PM.