Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Leaving Los Angeles

We spent the day along the San Pedro pier in Los Angeles/Long Beach. Mother stayed on the ship. I got off for just a few minutes, took a few pictures, and then got back on the ship. Only later did I learn that there was a little trolley that went up and down the street in front of the pier, down to a beach and not sure where in the other direction. You could travel all day for $1. Oh, well. I talked to all of the family on my cell phone, since I was in range for the first time in two weeks. Mother played bridge all afternoon.

We talked to the cruise consultant about future cruises, got this year's book on Alaska, to get an idea about prices, and got next year's book on Europe. I think we have narrowed down our choices. We can buy $100 coupons to cover advanced booking fees (rather than the normal $350-$500, depending on destination) and they can be used within four years. We have two days to decide how many we are going to buy! The coupons can also be converted into shipboard credit, depending on the kind of cabin we book.

We have our last formal dinner tonight, and we have lunch in the fancy dining room on Wednesday, in port in Vancouver for the day on Thursday, and Seattle on Friday morning. It will be good to get home to the unlimited Internet. I'll also be back on Lean Cuisine and Zone Bars. I'm afraid to get on the scales! The food has been too good.

Today I bought two more costume jewelry rings to go along with the others that I bought: one silver color and the other gold. Two for $40.

This has been a great way for Mother to travel. She doesn't have to walk very far, she can see some of the sights, and she can get out of the heat and humidity when she needs to. She has thoroughly enjoyed the bridge playing, and of course the food. She also went to the exercise room almost every day and rode the bike (Acapulco in the background in this picture).