Thursday, May 3, 2007

Cartagena, Columbia


We had a very nice formal dinner (two nights ago). Surf and Turf was my choice (lobster and petit filet steak). Mother had the duck. We spent yesterday at sea. Mother attended a bridge lesson in the morning, that she says was pretty good. I attended the shore excursion and port shopping talks in the morning (and worked on getting caught up on email). In the afternoon, Mother played bridge. I attended the speech by their expert on Panama. The speech was all about the operations of the Panama Canal...very informative.

Last night for dinner we had wild Alaska salmon (probably from last year!). We didn't attend the show last night, again. I'll try to get Mother to the show tonight. Today we were in port, at Cartagena, Columbia. We decided not to take a shore excursion today. After walking around a pretty empty ship after breakfast, taking a few movies and pictures of the port area, I noticed a free shuttle bus next to the ship. It only took me to the entrance of the port area, where there was a small shop, but enough to buy some souvenirs. I went back to the ship and got Mother to go back with me (I told her that there were caftans/mumus there). Sure enough, she found one to buy (see the picture). We got back to the ship in time for her to grab a quick bite to eat, and then go to the room where they play bridge. I'm in the Library, checking email and writing this blog entry. We are due to leave this port at 3 PM. Tomorrow we spend all day transiting the PANAMA CANAL.