Friday, May 4, 2007

Into the Pacific Ocean


I got Mother out on the deck a couple of times. The timing on this picture was critical, since we were moving from one lock to the next one. I had to rush her out on the deck and find a nice gentleman to take our picture, and figure out my camera (he actually took 3).

I spent most of the day moving around the ship with my video camera in hand (as you can see here). After starting out on the bow in the morning, I'd go to the back of the ship on Deck 8 to take movies of the gates closing, or to the bow of the ship (Deck 4) or to the Verandah deck (#6) which gave me a better view of the way ahead. My back is tired and my feet are tired!

It rained in the morning, as we left the first lock, so the deck was wet all day. But after an hour, it cleared up. It was hot and muggy all day, but not unbearable, We managed to duck into air conditioned space a lot.

We were out of the last lock before 4:15, and were under the Bridge of the Americas by about 4:45. After that, we came down to our stateroom and I downloaded my pictures. I forgot my charger for my still camera, so I am taking a lot fewer pictures than on my last trip. I can take stills with my video camera. but I filled almost two tapes today (over two hours).

The rest of the trip may be anticlimactic, but this is the day the cruise was named for! It was very impressive!